This Art Gallery located to the west with a walking distance to that of main palace, which is famous Art Gallery. It was built during rule of Krishnaraja Wodeyar III in 1861 to celebrate the marriage of his daughter, the princess of Mysuru, because the main palace was destroyed in a fire in 1897. The main door of this Museum is it self a master piece of Art with intricate carvings which is said to have been made in just 70 days. The museum was officially started in 1915, and has since been expended adding many artifacts. This Art Gallery was linded to the famous Mysuru style of painting of rare original paintings and artiacts and entrusted the Administration of this Museum to a committee. The museum was named after sri Jayachamrajendra Wodeyar in 1955 as Jaganmohn Palace Art Gallery.
The original oil paintings of Raja Ravi Varma of Travancore on display here are on many mythological themes.
The painting of lady holding the lamp of the Indian Artist S.G.Heldnker is another piece. The other Exhibits include Artifacts made from Glass, Ceramic and Metal.
A good collection of clocks is on display here. Few energravings from china and Japan give it an oriental charm, painting on silks from Japan are worth seeing. Another attraction is the display of paintings of various styles like Moghal, Rajputh give the museum the Artistic touch. Innumerable toys and Artifacts of various description (like the French musical calendar and religious bells from Nepal) makes a visit to this museum memorable.
Timings: 8.30 am to 5.30 pm (Daily)
Entrance fee: Adults: Rs.20, Children(5- 10yrs):Rs.10/-