Department of Women and Child Development
Mission of Establishing the Department
The Department of Probation and After care Service was established in 1956 and was functioning under the social welfare department where in focus was, on giving services to children and women .
A separate directorate Women and Child Department was created in 1975. The major thrust of the programmes and schemes of the directorate of Women and Child Development is to ensure a state of well being of women and children especially those of the weaker sections of society. The focus of the Department is the all round development of women and children and empowerment of women.
The activities of the department can be broadly classified into 3 categories:-
- Programmes for women development
- Programmes for child development
- Social defence programmes.
- To lay the foundation for development of children below 6 years with focus on Supplementary Nutrition, non formal pre school education and awareness and capacity building for mothers for nutritional and health needs of the child.
- To empower adolescent girls (11-18 years) through nutrition, health care and life skill education.
- To provide a safe and secure environment for overall development of children who are in need of care and protection
- To prevent women and children from being abused and trafficked.
- To enable Economic, Social and Political Empowerment of women.
- To provide relief and rehabilitation to vulnerable and marginalized women who lack family / societal support and independent means of income.
- To mainstream gender concerns in policies, programmes and schemes of Government through gender budgeting.
- To ensure welfare of differently abled and senior citizens.
- To implement Rajiv Gandhi Creche scheme for the children of workiing mothers and its revision.
- To implement programees for economic empowerment of women through Women Development Corporation.
- To empower women to participate in the justice delivery mechanism through Women’s Commission.
- To promote and bring out the creative talent among children by exposing them to various extra curriculare activities and creative through Bal Bhavans and Bala Vikas Academy.
Contact details of District Office:
Department Of Women And Child Development
1st floor,Sthri Shakthi Bhavana
Office No: 0821-2495432
Related Links https://wcd.karnataka.gov.in/